Wednesday, March 16, 2011

90% Knitting - Episode 8



This week my daughter Emma joins me for the videocast. We're also using a new camera, which hopefully will not throw in any technical surprises with regard to viewing it. Fingers crossed!

(Note that right around the 15 minute mark, there is a weird jump in what I'm saying...had to stop to deal with a phone call and had to stop recording for a few minutes, but that isn't overly obvious in the video, it just kind of looks like I randomly switched topics...I'm scattered, but not that scattered. LOL)

Welcome to all of the new members this week who introduced themselves on the 90% Knitting Rav board.

And thank you to ALL of you who watch 90% Knitting. There are a ton of knitting videocasts out right now, so I appreciate that you choose to use your valuable time watching mine. :)

The shawl I'm wearing is the Traveling Woman, pattern by Liz Abinate, which I made last year out of Fleece Artist Merino 2/6, Moss colorway.

ON THE NEEDLES:
FINISHED OBJECTS:
ON THE WHEEL:
  • Dyeabolical Yarns, BFL & Silk fiber, Juniper colorway. Since I forgot to bring the bobbins in for recording, here's a picture...the one on the left is the second quarter(ish) of the fiber. I'm so bad at dividing fiber equally.


  • Check out my special episode, Intro to Spinning.
  • If you'd like to see a good video plying demonstration, check out the one LynnZimm -- spinner extraordinaire! -- recorded last week.
  • Dyed four braids of 100% Merino top for the shop, including the one informally being referred to as the "Happy Hippy" colorway. ;) Did some yarn dyeing as well, though some was for specific people, so I didn't show it, and the rest of it was still damp.
DESIGN PROJECTS:
  • I'm teaching my first class at the new LYS this Saturday, Beginning Knitting. 
OOPS:
  • Dyeing oops...learned that dye doesn't always do what you think it will do under certain circumstances. So noted. :}
RESOURCES/RECOMMENDATIONS:
  • If you're looking for a drop spindle, check out the ones made by Highland Handmades. I've heard nothing but good things about them. Individual spindles and fibers are available in her shop now, but Heather is putting together more spinning kits for anyone just starting out or who'd like both a spindle and a bit of starting fiber. She said they'll be listed sometime this weekend.
10%:
  • Received my Knit Girllls SAL fiber in the mail from Tempted today! Yum!
  • The 90% Knitting Quickie KAL pattern for this week will be the Pedestrian Crossing Cowl by Melissa Tuttle Sibley of Keegan Lane Yarns. Perfect project for Malabrigo Rios, if you're still looking for a Malabrigo March project.
  • Made reservations for the hubby and I to go to Rhinebeck in October. Yeay!
  • New videocasts you might want to check out...I haven't had a chance to watch all of them yet, but you can't say there aren't viewing options! ;) (Rather than link them all here, you can find the links to them over to the right in the sidebar for Knitting Videocasts.)
    • A Chronic Knitter
    • Complex Textures
    • Dragonfly Soars
    • Knit Bytes
    • Needle Bound
    • Suezee Knits
    • The Expectant Knitter
    • This Cat Knits
  • I'm putting together a new blog to go along with the shop once it opens. Eventually, this blog will no longer be updated, and all new videocasts will be posted over on the Fibernymph Dye Works blog (the old ones have already been put up over there as well), along with shop news and my own knitting, spinning and fiber-related news. There is a button over there that will let you sign up to be on the FDW mailing list and receive updates about the shop a few times a month.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I really enjoy your video podcast, quite an improvement from many audio Podcasts I have sampled which were full of idle rambling or self- promotion. It is also nice to put a face with the video - your voice is very similar to a relative living in Atlanta which is nice, too ( and she doesn't even knit). My only critical comment would to do away with the "oops" segment and try to edit out the occasional comments you add downplaying your efforts. Truly not necessary and that subtracts from the overall quality of the podcast. I love the views from your knitting room, too. Keep up the good work ; I look forward to listening to more of your Podcasts.
Nancy in San Diego.

Lisa B. said...

Hi Nancy! Thanks for watching! I appreciate your thoughts on the "oops" section. I may eventually just include the oopses in with whatever project they happened with instead of having them be their own section, but I know I won't eliminate sharing my errors entirely. I originally put it in because some of my oopses were sort of funny, but honestly, I don't mind sharing the things that go wrong. I'm a normal person, just like anyone else, and I make mistakes. Personally, I appreciate the honesty of someone willing to share their mistakes as well as their successes. I think it's more encouraging than just hearing someone who seems like they never do anything wrong, because that doesn't seem very realistic. :)

Unknown said...

Great episode! Loved seeing your Daughter with you. I got tickled watching her watching you :) I'm looking forward to the spindle video!