Saturday, May 15, 2010

A new challenge...

Part of what I love about knitting is that there is always some new technique or skill to learn, some new way to challenge myself. My latest challenge comes in the form of a pair of colorwork socks -- the Norwegian Rose pattern from Wendy Johnson's latest book, Toe Up Socks for Every Body.

Apologies again for yet another crappy photo...still without a monitor at the desktop so this is just a camera phone photo.

I'm not too far along, only one chart repeat in on the first sock, but this is my second go at it, as I started out using less-than-pleasing yarn and decided these socks would be way too labor intensive to knit using a fiber I wasn't wild about. Thus, I'm now using Sanguine Gryphon's Skinny Bugga in Tomato Frog for the base color and Dragonfly Fibers Djinni Sock in Pumpkin King for the contrast. Must, much happier with this combo!

My only other experience with colorwork socks was a pair of pirate socks I made for Chris a couple years ago. They did not turn out great...I was new to stranding, and they were tight and unforgiving in fit. Thus, I haven't felt overly compelled to try it again until now, thanks to Leslie and Laura -- The Knit Girllls -- who started a KAL for this sock pattern. (The KAL info is in a thread on their Rav group, which is linked on the right hand side of their website if you're interested.) Who can resist something like that? (By the way, if you haven't discovered their videocast, go now and check it out! I love these girls...they're so much fun!)

2 comments:

LaLa said...

We love you too, Lisa!

Leslie said...

I love that color combination - it's going to be gorgeous! I still think it looks royal. :)

Thanks for the shout out - we appreciate all the love you guys have shown!