Monday, October 6, 2008

Quiet

I highly value quiet. For me, silence is truly golden. Especially first thing in the morning: I turn the radio alarm off ASAP to quell the squawking voices that so rudely rouse me from my sleep. I don't turn on the television once I'm up. On many weekdays, my kids will have started some of their school work by the time I get out of bed (not that I sleep late...they're just early risers), so even they are quiet. When I can enter my day like this, gently, without my auditory sense being assaulted first thing, I'm a much happier person.

Today is such a day. Both kids are reclined in the living room, reading. They are quiet. It is cold now at night, so the windows are shut, blocking any extraneous noises that may filter into the house from outside. The only noises I hear at the moment are the sound of the refrigerator running and the sound of the laptop keys as I type. These sounds I can deal with.

This is the perfect way to start a Monday.

No comments: